Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Monday 29 October 2007

Football

Yesterday's game was interesting to listen to and watch (I followed on BBC Five Live Sports Extra and the NFL 'Game Center' on the NFL Scores website. Later on BBC1 showed edited headlights). I then listened (via the internet) to New England Patriots v my favourite team (you guessed it!) Washington Redskins. It was interesting, but you'll understand if I don't want to talk about it!!!! (52-7 loss).

I've made a start on the autobiography of former Speaker, Denny Hastert. The Book "Speaker", is subtitled "lessons from forty years in coaching and politics". The former Speaker was a football coach at Yorkville High School before concentrating on coaching the wrestling team. President Ford was of course a star player for the University of Michigan and he turned down contract offers from the Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers of the National Football League. Speaking of one game in the 1930s when Michigan had held the highly favoured Minnesota to a first half tie, the President said:-

During 25 years in the rough-and-tumble world of politics, I often thought of the experiences before, during, and after that game in 1934. Remembering them has helped me many times to face a tough situation, take action, and make every effort possible despite adverse odds.”