Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Wednesday 18 February 2009

My Favourite City

Ten years ago today, I made my first flight to Washington DC - a city I have returned to on a frequent basis. If you haven't been to DC it is well worth a visit. Some people don't like it. During that first visit in 1999 one woman told me "the trouble with Washington is that the place is obsessed with politics" - well!

There is so much history there - if you stand at the base of the Washington Monument you can see - just by moving your eyes, not even your head - the White House; Congress; the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetery. Scenes of some of the most important events in our lifetimes. A visit to see the Senate and the House of Representatives is a must! Thanks to my friends I have become interested in the US Civil War - and as well as researching the role of the Committee on the Conduct of the War during one of my visits - most of the key battlefields are within easy driving distance.

For more information on visiting the area go to
http://www.washington.org/;