Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Wednesday 19 August 2009

Whitehall

.... is the most powerful street in Britain! Well actually it's the term commonly used for the whole of the Executive machinery. The most important ministries are physically in Whitehall - the Treasury; Foreign Office (and the Welsh Office!!!). Downing Street is a street just off Whitehall. Many Departments are elsewhere. (Click here for addresses).

There are some excellent books about the working of Whitehall - but the street itself has an interesting history. Over the summer I've been dipping into my library to learn a little more about a street I walk down fairly frequently. There is an official illustrated history by Simon Thurley (London: Merrell, 2008), which I picked up at the Parliamentary Bookshop. Colin Brown has also written book entitled "Whitehall. The Street that Shaped a Nation". (London: Simon & Schuster, 2009).

The street takes its name from the Palace that stood there. From it the Banqueting House remains - the place outside which Charles I was executed. Over the coming weeks I will write a few posts about this interesting street and its history.