Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Sunday 7 February 2010

New Orleans

First, let me make this point clear, I am a fan of the Washington Redskins. Sadly they won't be in tonight's Superbowl (it hasn't been the happiest or most successful of seasons!). So just for one night I will lend my allegiance to another team - the New Orleans Saints.

New Orleans is the obvious choice for someone who - along with watching American Football - has as his main leisure interest - listening to Jazz. New Orleans was the birthplace of this music (though other cities made valuable contributions to the development of Jazz). I have the excellent set of documentaries on Jazz history made by Ken Burns, and I'll watch a few episodes today. New Orleans jazz as a specific style is explained here.

An appropriate piece of video to watch today has New Orleans born Jazz genius Louis Armstrong singing and playing "When the Saints go marching in"



Politically the City is represented by Steve Scalise (LA 01); Joseph Cao (LA 02) Senator Mary Landrieu and Senator David Vitter.