Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Annie's Bar


I’m working through my notes and printed articles which have formed the background to my Ph.D. research – checking through to see if there is anything I missed before I submit. There was one article I had missed completely (though sadly it won’t provide any additional ‘evidence’ for my thesis).

It was an article about a 1996 Channel Four Series called “Annie’s Bar”. I didn’t watch it at the time (I was a busy County Councillor with a heavy load of teaching commitments across the Midlands – with a General Election coming up!). I thought that all traces would have disappeared, but I found it on 4OD. It sensationalises and exaggerates a bit – it is a drama after all – but it is actually quite good on explaining parliamentary practice. There's quite a bit on whips - I recognised some of the 'sources', and the originals go get referenced in my thesis - though the reality is they were rare events rather than the norm (which is suggested in the drama)

If you are able to watch it (I’m not sure if it is available outside the UK) – it’s quite enjoyable. I’m happy to answer any questions arising about parliamentary practice (and what has changed since 1996). Just drop me a line or post a comment.

The programme (details and access to each episode) can be found at http://www.channel4.com/programmes/annies-bar/4od