Washminster

Washminster
Washminster

Thursday 2 May 2013

Party Political Broadcasts



Everyone's favourites - I write in jest. I know that some people find them uninteresting (and I haven't seen one in years, when I'm campaigning I don't have time - and when I'm taking time off, I want to relax!). I do prefer the limits in the UK, even I was bored rigid by the constant repetition (and downright misleading content) of US political ads when I was in Virginia during last year's elections.

Of course political advertising raises issues of freedom of expression. The House of Commons Library has just produced a paper on Party Political Broadcasts - and sets out the legal framework - and the issue of compatibilty with the European Convention on Human Rights.

So whether you are a political geek, or a law student - you might find it useful to download the paper.